For general information see also the official regulation of the PhD Program (in .pdf – only in Italian)






  • WHICH are the requirements for the application?
    You need an international degree (Master’s degree level) or other equivalent academic qualification awarded by a recognized university and granting access to PhD studies (for Italians second level degree awarded by an Italian University and, i.e. laurea magistrale (LM) or laurea specialistica (LS)). You should also prepare a research proposal and provide two letters of recommendation or send the names of two referees who could provide the letters. More details are available on the call for application.
  • DO I NEED¬†TO PAY¬† for participating in the admission procedure?
    Yes; there is a fee to be sent before the deadline.
  • HOW¬† is the admission procedure organized?
    The admission procedure will be organized as an oral interview (if necessary, for students abroad also by Skype) by an Examination Board of four professors, one for each of the four Universities, and representing each curriculum (candidates have to choose in advance a curriculum among the four provided).
  • HOW do I choose the Curriculum?
    To apply, you have to choose a curriculum. The different fields of research in each curriculum are presented in this site, along with the teaching activity of each curriculum (see on the menu at the entry “teaching”). It is advisable to check the relevant interests of the teachers by looking at their web pages to see which kind of intersection you may find with your research proposal.

Go to top




  • WHERE¬†the admission and final examinations will be held?
    The admission examination from Cycle 33 will be held at the University that is the administrative coordinator of the Consortium (for the period  2017-2019, this is the University of Genoa). The final examinations will be held at the University the was the administrative site for the Cycle concerned.
  • Are there housing facilities and a working SPACE¬†for Ph.D. Students?
    Each university will provide working space for Ph.D. Students (common rooms, libraries, spaces in teachers’ offices, seminar rooms, and libraries)
    There are also housing facilities for students in each of the four universities, although you need to apply in advance to secure a room in those facilities.
  • Are there arrangements to access LIBRARIES¬†or online research databases?
    Students from Cycle 33 will be provided with an account at the University of Genoa (and an account in other universities where they will be enrolled) in order to access online libraries   (journals and other documents) and have access to internet services, to libraries and lectures. Being enrolled in a University (either Turin or Genoa) with your university account (email and password) you will have access to Eduroam Network.

–¬†see also the web page on¬†venues and facilities¬†(to be updated)

Go to top




  • TO WHICH¬†University do we belong?
    Each Ph.D. student is affiliated with one of the four universities in the Consortium (for scholarship holders the relevant university will be the one that provides the scholarship). However, all students are also attached to the University where the administrative coordination of the program is based (Torino for the XXIX-XXXII cycle; GENOVA for the  XXXIII-XXXV cycle of 1917-1919) and which will serve as the site of the final examinations.
  • WHICH RULES¬†should we follow for what?
    PhD students should follow some rules that are shared by all four universities but sometimes with small differences (see also information for VISITING). PhD students should find their way in the different bureaucracies of their universities with the assistance of their local tutors.

Go to top






  • HOW is my tutor chosen?
    Your tutor is chosen upon enrolment to provide a link with the university to which you will be affiliated. The tutor will offer guidance to get you started with your research, to help you to choose a proper supervisor, and to comply with various administrative requirements.
  • HOW is my supervisor chosen?
    Your tutor can also serve as your supervisor, but, depending on your research interest, you may contact any other professor from the board of teachers who is willing to supervise your research . Although you may work with your supervisor since the first year, “officially” supervisors will be formalized at the moment of passing from the first to the second year (also to give students time to get their project clearer).
  • HOW is my participation in the program confirmed each year?¬†
    There will be examinations for the passage from the first to the second year and from the second to the third, organized by each curriculum. To pass the examination (typically the discussion of a paper or of the project) is necessary to continue staying in the PhD Program.

Go to top






  • HOW MUCH mandatory¬†didactics do we have?
    You should follow some shared classes, especially in the first year. Shared classes (the Rolling seminar, argumentation, and few others) are mandatory. In addition, you should follow some mandatory classes and seminars that are specific to your curriculum. There is a certain variety among curricula (and you are allowed to follow the teachings of other curricula)
  • WHAT IF I instead wish to attend other activities outside the Consortium?
    You may discuss with the head of the curriculum or with the Coordinator of the Doctorate about alternative classes attendance. This may be conceded if you are abroad or in a very special situation, Classes of the PhD Program are designed to serve as a place to learning how to interact in an academic environment, discuss your questions and share answers, and it is an integral part of the program.
  • HOW MANY PAPERS¬†¬†should I write?
    You are invited to write papers both for the shared assignments and for the curricular classes, especially in the first year and partly during the second. You may use these opportunities to improve your academic writing skills and also to find possible hints for your dissertation. 
  • WHEN are papers due?
    For the Rolling seminar (first year, mandatory) you have to write a paper on the subject of one of the lessons and send it to the teacher in two months time after the end of the seminar. In the case of real difficulty, you may take an agreement with the teacher for a delay. For other papers due for different curricula you should agree with a teacher about the topic and the deadline.

Go to top




  • HOW MUCH¬†should I write?
    You should aim to develop your writing skills as much as possible. During the first year, you are expected to write a mandatory essay for the shared class and another for the class specific to your curriculum. The deadlines for the essays will be agreed with each of the class teachers and should be given normally in two months time after the end of the class. In addition, your tutor or supervisor may ask you to write papers and essays on specific topics as your research develops.
    You are encouraged, where appropriate, to submit papers to academic journals (your supervisor will provide guidance in this respect). Mandatory papers for the teaching activities are normally not for publication.  For a general information on the problem of publications and ranking of Philosophical Journals see our
                                                                       page on where, what,how to write?
    You should plan to finish writing the final version of your dissertation before the end of the third year. Some scholars advise to organise the dissertation in chapters that could be presented partly as individual essays (and eventually submitted as articles to journals). For the final examination, see below.

Go to top




  • Is there FUNDING¬†available for going to conferences and workshops, visiting libraries and research¬†centers and other visiting activities useful for my dissertation?
    Yes, indeed, starting from the second year you will have a (limited) budget to spend on such activities, following the rules of the University you are attached to. Each year, all students, including those without a scholarship, are granted an amount corresponding to  10% of an annual scholarship. Students in Genoa have this amount since the first year; students of other Universities may ask for help for their research travels (see below).
    ‚Äď Some universities offer a limited budget already in¬†the first year, on a case-by-case basis (e.g., if your paper has been accepted for a conference or a workshop).¬†There may be a distinction between educational mobility (when you want to follow a seminar or a conference) and mission (when you go to speak at a conference). You can also ask for a scholarship increase to help your¬†visits abroad (see below at the entry “visiting”).
  • WHOM¬†should I ask for funding?¬†
    You should ask at the University you are attached to; each University has its own procedure. However, in all cases, you will have to fill a form and give it or send it to the local office. In some cases ‚Äď the offices will require an approval from the Coordinator of the Doctorate (who will send you a pdf copy of your request with her or his signature).

Go to top




  • WHOM should I ask for a visiting period abroad?
    You may look (i) for a co-tutorship or (ii) for a  period of study abroad. In case (i)  you need a complex procedure followed by the offices of the Administrative University (Genoa for cycles 33-35); in case (ii)  the request must be put at the university, to which you are attached and which provides your scholarship, in the first year of Doctorate (possibly in the first part of the year(. Then, the request should be signed by the Coordinator or accompanied by a letter of the Coordinator in case you need an increase of the scholarship for the period of study abroad.
  • HOW LONG¬†can I stay abroad, and HOW MUCH will¬†the scholarship be¬†increased?
    PhDs are strongly encouraged to spend a period abroad in the institution where their specific research field is most advanced. PhDs who have a scholarship will have their scholarship increased by 50%. The period abroad may last up to 540 days. The increase of the scholarship may be used also for short periods abroad (e.g. for a Summer School or a Congress).
  • WHEN SHOULD¬†I ASK AND WHEN SHALL I BE PAID?¬† If the period abroad is less than two months, the increase will be given after the period ends. If the period abroad is longer than two consecutive months, the increased scholarship will be paid during the period abroad. For periods longer than two months, PhD student should put a request a month before leaving. Coming back from you period abroad you will have to give the office of your University a signed document of the institution¬† you have been, with the indication of the dates of arrival and departure.
  • WHICH PROCEDURES SHOULD I FOLLOW?¬†You need (1) the exact dates of the period of staying abroad; (2) a letter of invitation from the host institution with the same dates; (3) an approval from the coordinator of the doctorate; and (4) an email confirming your arrival. At the end of the period abroad, you need to have a signed letter confirming the date of leaving; the letter must be given to the offices no later than 15 days after the end of the period abroad (please, check with your respective university; there are some small differences in the procedures and/or see below)

see also Page on going to Conferences or Visiting Abroad

Go to top




  • FEES: Is there and further fee¬†to pay?
    Nothing to pay for final examinations
  • WHEN, WHERE and to¬†WHOM: ¬†when should I submit my final text and to whom?
    The final version of the dissertation in .pdf should be given at the end of the third year to the evaluators Рafter having been judged by the supervisor and the Steering Committee.If considered insufficient, the Steering Committee may give a permission for 6 months before sending it to the evaluators.  Your supervisor will discuss with you the evaluators and the Examination Board.
  • WHEN will be the viva examination? After (if…) the assessors approved the dissertation, the examination committee will be officially approved and they will decide a suitable date for the viva examination.
  • For further information, see also ¬†info on final examinations.




      • WEB SPACE: Is there any web space for students?
        Each student will have a web page for presenting his or her career and uploading his or her files
      • WHEN the web space will cease
        Actually, there is no apparent limit to keep the FINO web page. The Consortium is eager to keep in touch with its former students after their PhD and we have ut in the web page a specific space for indicating the activities post-Phd. Apparently, students will build their own professional web pages in the future and we wil be happy if they will put a link to their new web pages in that space
      • HOW is it possible to fill the personal web page?
        Each student will be provided with a method to enter his or her web page and write his or her CV and other information. Concerning Uploading files, each student will have a specific space where to upload files or pictures: see

      Go to top


Each year PhD students elect a delegate in the Steering Committee, so that there are at least three PhD students, one for Cycle, to present common worries and proposals to the Committee. At the moment the delegates are:

  • Gabriele Tassinari (Cycle 32)
  • Laura Santi Amantini (Cycle 33)
  • Giulio Sciacca (Cycle 34)

Go to top