Tutor: Barbero Carola
Progetto: Towards a Value Sensitive Design Framework for Attaining Meaningful Human Control of Autonomous Weapons System
- COMPLETED EDUCATION
Master of Science (MSc) - Sept 2016 — Nov 2018
University of Edinburgh
- Epistemology, Ethics, and Mind
- Dissertation: Imaginative Value Sensitive Design: How Moral Imagination Exceeds Moral Law Theories in Informing Responsible Innovation
- Advisor: Emma C. Gordon
Master of Arts (MA) - Sept 2017 — Oct 2018
- Science and Technology Studies
- Major Research Project: Safe-(for whom?)-by-Design: Adopting a Posthumanist Ethics for Technology Design
- Advisor: Daniel McArthur
Honours Bachelors of Arts (HBA) with Distinction - Sept 2011 — June 2016
University of Toronto
- Philosophy (Maj.), Philosophy of Science (Min.), Classical Civilizations (Min.).
Institute for Ethics and Emerging Technologies - April 2016 — Present
- Independent research on the design and ethics of transformative, emerging technologies.
- Spearheaded the rebranding of the IEET as well as the reformulation of the essential duties of the Board of Trustees, Board of Directors, and the Advisory Board.
- Submission editor and organizational development.
Course/Exam Evaluator - January 2019 - Present
- Aristotle (course evaluator)
Teaching Assistant - September 2017 — June 2018
- NATS 1775: Technology and Civilization, Grader.
- NATS 1920: Nature and Growth of Mathematics, Grader.
English Teacher - May 2016 - Aug 2016
Green High School
- ENG4U: English, Grade 12, University Preparation. Designed and Taught Course.
- Course Developer
Course Developer - May 2016 - June 2016
High Park Academy
- HZB3M (Web): Philosophy: The Big Questions, Grade 11. Designed Course.
- HZT4U (Web): Philosophy: Questions and Theories, Grade 12. Designed Course.
AREAS OF INTEREST
- Value Sensitive Design/Responsible Innovation of Transformative Technologies
- Anticipatory Governance Strategies for Emerging Technologies
- Conceptual Issues of Atomically Precise Manufacturing/Molecular Manufacturing
- The Philosophy of Emerging Technologies and Post/Transhumanism
- Assistant Editor - Science and Engineering Ethics - 2019 - Present
- Associate Editor - International Journal of Technoethics, 2018 - Present
- Book Reviews Editor, Prometheus: critical studies in innovation, 2018 - Present
- Section Editor, Informatica, 2018 - Present
- Editorial Board Member, Humanities and Social Science, 2017 - Present
- Advisory Board Member, Knowledge Futures: Interdisciplinary Review of Futures Studies, 2017 - Present
- Editorial Board Member, International Journal of Technoethics, 2017 - 2018
- Guest Editor, Between the Species: Journal of Philosophy and Animals, 2018
Notation: Journal Name (year of reviews: number of reviews in that year)
* Denotes peer reviews for edited collections
To the reader: I include the number of reviews to promote more professional credit being given for performing peer reviews. I encourage others to do the same on their curriculum vitae. Verified journal reviews can be accessed via Publons.
- AI & Society (2018:2; 2019:1)
- *Artificial Intelligence Safety and Security [CRC Press] (2017: 6)
- Axiomathes (2018:1)
- Contingent Horizons (2017:1)
- Engineering Reports (2019:1)
- Futures (2017:2)
- International Journal of Art, Culture and Design Technologies (2018:1; 2019:1)
- International Journal of Sociotechnology and Knowledge Development (2018:2; 2019:1)
- International Journal of Strategic Engineering (2018:1)
- International Journal of Technoethics (2017:3; 2018:1)
- Intersect: The Stanford Journal of Science, Technology, and Society (2018:1)
- Journal of Critical Realism (2018:10; 2019:1)
- Journal of Evolution and Technology (2015:1; 2017:2; 2018:1)
- Journal of Military Ethics (2018:2)
- Journal of Posthuman Studies (2018:7; 2019:1)
- Journal of Responsible Innovation (2017:2: 2018:1)
- Journal of Science Communication (2018:1)
- NanoEthics (2019:2)
- Science and Engineering Ethics (2018:7; 2019:5)
- TECNOSCIENZA: Italian Journal of Science & Technology Studies (2017:1)
- The International Journal of Technology, Knowledge, and Society (2018:1)
# denotes publications that have not undergone peer review.
- Umbrello, Steven, 2019. "Atomically Precise Manufacturing and Responsible Innovation: A Value Sensitive Design Approach to Explorative Nanophilosophy," International Journal of Technoethics, forthcoming.
- Umbrello, Steven, 2019. "Lethal Autonomous Weapons: Designing War Machines with Values," Delphi: Interdisciplinary Review of Emerging Technologies, Vol. 1, No. 2, forthcoming.
- Umbrello, Steven, Torres, Phil and Angelo F. De Bellis, 2019. "The Future of War: The Ethical Potential of Leaving War to Lethal Autonomous Weapons," AI & Society, forthcoming. DOI: 10.1007/s00146-019-00879-x
- Umbrello, Steven, 2019. "Beneficial AI Coordination by means of a Value Sensitive Design Approach." Big Data and Cognitive Computing, Special Issue: "Artificial Superintelligence: Coordination & Strategy," Vol. 3, No. 1, 1-13. DOI: 10.3390/bdcc3010005
- Umbrello, Steven, Lombard, Jessica, 2018. "Silence of the Idols: Appropriating the Myth of Sisyphus for Posthumanist Discourses," Postmodern Openings, Vol. 9, No. 4, 98-121. DOI: 10.18662/po/47
- Umbrello, Steven, 2018. "Posthumanism: A Fickle Philosophy?" Con Texte, Vol. 2, No. 1, 28-32 DOI: 10.28984/ct.v2i1.279
- Umbrello, Steven, 2018. "Designing a Nano-Safe Future,"The Solutions Journal, Vol. 9, No. 4, 1-3.
- Umbrello, Steven, and Seth D. Baum, 2018. "Evaluating Future Nanotechnology: The Net Societal Impacts of Atomically Precise Manufacturing," Futures, Vol. 100, 63-73. DOI: 10.1016/j.futures.2018.04.007
- Umbrello, Steven, 2018. "The Moral Psychology of Value Sensitive Design: the Methodological Issues of Moral Intuitions for Responsible Innovation," Journal of Responsible Innovation, Vol. 5, No. 2, 186-200. DOI: 10.1080/23299460.2018.1457401
- Umbrello, Steven, 2018. "Explorative Nanophilosophy as Tecnoscienza: An Italian Perspective on the Role of Speculation in Nanoindustry," TECNOSCIENZA: The Italian Journal of Science and Technology Studies, revise-and-resubmit manuscript under review.
- Umbrello, Steven, 2019. "Imaginative Value Sensitive Design: Using Moral Imagination Theory to Inform Responsible Technology Design." Science and Engineering Ethics, revise-and-resubmit manuscript under review.
- Scheyer, Peter, Umbrello, Steven, 2019. "Corrupting Effectiveness: Utilitarianism and Moral Impartiality toward Future Persons in Pragmatic Evaluation of Altruistic Interventions," Ethics and International Affairs, initial submission under review.
- Umbrello, Steven, Yampolskiy, Roman, 2019. "Designing AI for Explainability and Verifiability: A Value Sensitive Design Approach to Avoid Artificial Stupidity in Autonomous Vehicles," Artificial Intelligence, Special Issue: "Ethics of Autonomous Systems." Initial submission under review.
- Umbrello, Steven, 2019. "Steps to Designing AI Empowered Nanotechnology: A Value Sensitive Design Approach," Delphi: Interdisciplinary Review of Emerging Technologies, initial submission under review.
- Umbrello, Steven, 2019. "The Ecological Turn in Design: Adopting A Posthumanist Ethics to Inform Value Sensitive Design," Philosophies, Special Issue: "Philosophy and Ethics of Technology," initial submission under review.
- Umbrello, Steven; Sorgner, Stefan L., 2019. "Nonconscious Cognitive Suffering: Considering Suffering Risks of Embodied Artificial Intelligence," Philosophies, Special Issue: "Frontiers of Embodied Artificial Intelligence: The (r-)evolution of the embodied approach in AI," initial submission under review.
- Umbrello, Steven; Padovano, Alessandro, and Longo, Francesco, 2019. "Designing Industry 4.0 for Sociotechnical Resilience: A Value Sensitive Design Approach," Simulations, Special Issue: "The Societal and Ethical Dimensions of Computer Simulations," initial submission under review.
- Umbrello, Steven, et al., 2019. "Reimagining the future of engineering (fPET workshop)." In Diane P. Michelfelder and Neelke Doorn (eds.), Routledge Handbook of Philosophy of Engineering, Routledge, forthcoming.
- Umbrello, Steven, 2019. "AI Winter." In Philip Frana and Michael J. Klein (eds.), Encyclopedia of Artificial Intelligence: The Past, Present, and Future of AI, ABC-CLIO, forthcoming.
- Umbrello, Steven, De Bellis, Angelo F., 2018. "A Value-Sensitive Design Approach to Intelligent Agents." In Roman Yampolskiy (ed.), Artificial Intelligence Safety and Security, CRC Press, 395-410. ISBN 9780815369820
- Umbrello, Steven, 2018. "Fragile Umanità," Journal of Posthuman Studies, forthcoming.
- Umbrello, Steven, 2019. "Moving to a Posthuman Technosphere,"Techné: Research in Philosophy and Technology, Accepted 3 June 2018, forthcoming.
- Umbrello, Steven, 2019. "Nihilism and Technology," Prometheus: Critical Studies in Innovation, forthcoming.
- #Umbrello, Steven, 2019. "Costruire Futuri: Migrazioni, città, immaginazioni," Journal of Futures Studies, Vol. 23, No. 2, 101-103. DOI: 10.6531/JFS.201812_23(2).0007
- Umbrello, Steven, 2018. "A Theory of Everything?" Cultural Studies Review, Vol. 24, No. 2, 186-186. DOI: 10.5130/csr.v24i1.6318
- Umbrello, Steven, 2018. "Evolution Science and Ethics in the Third Millennium: Challenges and Choices for Humankind," World Futures, Published 04 October 2018. DOI: 10.1080/02604027.2018.1490113
- #Umbrello, Steven, 2018. "Designing in Ethics" Prometheus: Critical Studies in Innovation, Vol. 35, No. 2, 160-161. DOI:10.1080/08109028.2018.1486470
- Umbrello, Steven, 2018. "Morality, Foresight, and Human Flourishing: An Introduction to Existential Risks."Futures, Vol. 98, 90-91. DOI: 10.1016/j.futures.2018.02.007
- #Umbrello, Steven, 2018. "Humankind: Solidarity with Nonhuman People,"Journal of Critical Realism, Vol. 17, No. 1, 84-86. DOI: 10.1080/14767430.2018.1437878
- Umbrello, Steven, 2017. "The Rise of Realism,"The International Journal of Actor-Network Theory and Technological Innovation, Vol. 9, No. 2, 63-66.
- Umbrello, Steven, 2018. "Being Ecological," Science, Technology and Society, under review
“Drawing the Future Through Innovation” from Leonardo to Emerging Technologies, Ethics & Compliance Forum ITALIA , (9-10 May 2019), Torino, Italy.
Global AI Governance Framework Team, AI Safety Camp, (26th April – 5th May 2019) Ávila, Spain.
Ethics in Emerging Tech, Innovation Hub Berlin, (1 March 2019) Berlin, Germany.
"Beyond Anthropocentrism," 2nd Posthuman Studies Workshop. (9 February 2019) John Cabot University, Rome, Italy.
- "I robot nell'assistenza delle persone fragili," (5 February 2019) Università degli Studi di Torino, Torino, Italy.
- Umbrello, Steven, 2016. "Nootropics: The Current Trend of Personal Cognitive Enhancement" 2016 Workshop in Transhumanism. LUMEN Research Center in Social and Humanistic Sciences, Romania.
Conference Oral Presentations
- Umbrello, Steven, 2018. "Intuiting Safe Design: Strengthening Design-for-Values Frameworks" fPET2018 - Forum on Philosophy, Engineering, and Technology. University of Maryland, USA.
- Umbrello, Steven, 2018. "Safe-by-Design: Principled Methods for Embedding Values in Transformative Technologies" Sixth Annual Conference on Governance of Emerging Technologies: Law, Policy, and Ethics. Arizona State University, USA.
- Umbrello, Steven, 2018. "Theological Determinism to Technological Determinism: The Secularization of Eschatological Narratives" NESTS - Northeast Science and Technology Studies Conference. Cornell University, USA.
- Umbrello, Steven, 2018. "The Future of Value Sensitive Design" Reformatting the World: An Interdisciplinary Conference on Technology and Humanities. York University, Canada.
- Umbrello, Steven, 2017. "Duoploding the Apocalypse: A Writing Instrument for Ecological Thought" Object Lessons | Technoscientific Cultures, 3rd Annual Conference. York University, Canada.
Awards and Honours
- Excellent Reviewing Award (8th worldwide) - Publons 2018 Peer Review Award - Sept 2018
- Outstanding Contribution in Reviewing - Futures (Elsevier) - Sept 2017
- Honours Distinction - University of Toronto - 2016
- Certificate of Appreciation from Accessibility Resources - University of Toronto - 2012 - 2014
- Ontario Scholar Award - Holy Cross Catholic Academy - 2011
- Certificate of Merit - Holy Cross Catholic Academy - 2011
- Honour Roll - Holy Cross Catholic Academy - 2010 - 2011