Tutor: Barbero Carola
Progetto: Dynamic Design: Bolstering the Value Sensitive Design Approach by Reflexively Accounting for Situated Value Change
Master of Science (MSc) - Sept 2016 — Nov 2018
University of Edinburgh
- Epistemology, Ethics, and Mind
- Dissertation: Imaginative Value Sensitive Design: How Moral Imagination Exceeds Moral Law Theories in Informing Responsible Innovation
- Advisor: Emma C. Gordon
Master of Arts (MA) - Sept 2017 — Oct 2018
- Science and Technology Studies
- Major Research Project: Safe-(for whom?)-by-Design: Adopting a Posthumanist Ethics for Technology Design
- Advisor: Daniel McArthur
Honours Bachelors of Arts (HBA) with Distinction - Sept 2011 — June 2016
University of Toronto
- Philosophy (Maj.), Philosophy of Science (Min.), Classical Civilizations (Min.).
Institute for Ethics and Emerging Technologies - April 2016 — Present
- Independent research on the design and ethics of transformative, emerging technologies.
- Spearheaded the rebranding of the IEET as well as the reformulation of the essential duties of the Board of Trustees, Board of Directors, and the Advisory Board.
- Submission editor and organizational development.
Teaching Assistant - September 2017 — June 2018
- NATS 1775: Technology and Civilization, Grader.
- NATS 1920: Nature and Growth of Mathematics, Grader.
English Teacher - May 2016 - Aug 2016
Green High School
- ENG4U: English, Grade 12, University Preparation. Designed and Taught Course.
- Course Developer
Course Developer - May 2016 - June 2016
High Park Academy
- HZB3M (Web): Philosophy: The Big Questions, Grade 11. Designed Course.
- HZT4U (Web): Philosophy: Questions and Theories, Grade 12. Designed Course.
AREAS OF INTEREST
- Value Sensitive Design/Responsible Innovation of Transformative Technologies
- Anticipatory Governance Strategies for Emerging Technologies
- Conceptual Issues of Atomically Precise Manufacturing/Molecular Manufacturing
- The Philosophy of Emerging Technologies and Post/Transhumanism
- Associate Editor - International Journal of Technoethics, 2018 - Present
- Book Reviews Editor, Prometheus: critical studies in innovation, 2018 - Present
- Section Editor, Informatica, 2018 - Present
- Editorial Board Member, Humanities and Social Science, 2017 - Present
- Editorial Board Member, International Journal of Technoethics, 2017 - 2018
- Guest Editor, Between the Species: Journal of Philosophy and Animals, 2018
Notation: Journal Name (year of reviews: number of reviews in that year)
* Denotes peer reviews for edited collections
To the reader: I include the number of reviews to promote more professional credit being given for performing peer reviews. I encourage others to do the same on their curriculum vitae. Verified journal reviews can be accessed via Publons.
- AI & Society (2018:2)
- *Artificial Intelligence Safety and Security [CRC Press] (2017: 6)
- Axiomathes (2018:1)
- Contingent Horizons (2017:1)
- Futures (2017:2)
- International Journal of Art, Culture and Design Technologies (2018:1)
- International Journal of Sociotechnology and Knowledge Development (2018:2; 2019:1)
- International Journal of Strategic Engineering (2018:1)
- International Journal of Technoethics (2017:3; 2018:1)
- Intersect: The Stanford Journal of Science, Technology, and Society (2018:1)
- Journal of Critical Realism (2018:10)
- Journal of Evolution and Technology (2015:1; 2017:2; 2018:1)
- Journal of Military Ethics (2018:2)
- Journal of Posthuman Studies (2018:7; 2019:1)
- Journal of Responsible Innovation (2017:2: 2018:1)
- Journal of Science Communication (2018:1)
- Science and Engineering Ethics (2018:7)
- TECNOSCIENZA: Italian Journal of Science & Technology Studies (2017:1)
- The International Journal of Technology, Knowledge, and Society (2018:1)
Umbrello, Steven, 2019. "Nihilism and Technology," Prometheus: Critical Studies in Innovation, forthcoming.# denotes publications that have not undergone peer review.
- Umbrello, Steven, 2019. "Atomically Precise Manufacturing and Responsible Innovation: A Value Sensitive Design Approach to Explorative Nanophilosophy," International Journal of Technoethics, forthcoming.
- Umbrello, Steven, 2019. "Beneficial AI Coordination by means of a Value Sensitive Design Approach." Big Data and Cognitive Computing, Special Issue: "Artificial Superintelligence: Coordination & Strategy," Vol. 3, No. 1, 1-13. DOI: 10.3390/bdcc3010005
- Umbrello, Steven, Lombard, Jessica, 2018. "Silence of the Idols: Appropriating the Myth of Sisyphus for Posthumanist Discourses," Postmodern Openings, Vol. 9, No. 4, 98-121. DOI: 10.18662/po/47
- Umbrello, Steven, 2018. "Posthumanism: A Fickle Philosophy?" Con Texte, Vol. 2, No. 1, 28-32 DOI: 10.28984/ct.v2i1.279
- Umbrello, Steven, 2018. "Designing a Nano-Safe Future,"The Solutions Journal, Vol. 9, No. 4, 1-3.
- Umbrello, Steven, and Seth D. Baum, 2018. "Evaluating Future Nanotechnology: The Net Societal Impacts of Atomically Precise Manufacturing," Futures, Vol. 100, 63-73. DOI: 10.1016/j.futures.2018.04.007
- Umbrello, Steven, 2018. "The Moral Psychology of Value Sensitive Design: the Methodological Issues of Moral Intuitions for Responsible Innovation," Journal of Responsible Innovation, Vol. 5, No. 2, 186-200. DOI: 10.1080/23299460.2018.1457401
- Umbrello, Steven, 2018. "Explorative Nanophilosophy as Tecnoscienza: An Italian Perspective on the Role of Speculation in Nanoindustry," TECNOSCIENZA: The Italian Journal of Science and Technology Studies, revise-and-resubmit manuscript under review.
- Umbrello, Steven, Torres, Phil and Angelo F. De Bellis, 2019. "The Future of War: The Ethical Potential of Leaving War to Lethal Autonomous Weapons," AI & Society, initial submission under review.
- Umbrello, Steven, et al., 2019. "Reimagining the future of engineering (fPET workshop)." In Diane P. Michelfelder and Neelke Doorn (eds.), Routledge Handbook of Philosophy of Engineering, Routledge, forthcoming.
- Umbrello, Steven, 2019. "AI Winter." In Philip Frana and Michael J. Klein (eds.), Encyclopedia of Artificial Intelligence: The Past, Present, and Future of AI, ABC-CLIO, forthcoming.
- Umbrello, Steven, De Bellis, Angelo F., 2018. "A Value-Sensitive Design Approach to Intelligent Agents." In Roman Yampolskiy (ed.), Artificial Intelligence Safety and Security, CRC Press, 395-410. ISBN 9780815369820
- Umbrello, Steven, 2019. "Moving to a Posthuman Technosphere,"Techné: Research in Philosophy and Technology, Accepted 3 June 2018, forthcoming.
- Umbrello, Steven, 2019. "Nihilism and Technology," Prometheus: Critical Studies in Innovation, forthcoming.
- #Umbrello, Steven, 2019. "Costruire Futuri: Migrazioni, città, immaginazioni," Journal of Futures Studies, In Press, forthcoming.
- Umbrello, Steven, 2018. "A Theory of Everything?" Cultural Studies Review, Vol. 24, No. 2, 186-186. DOI: 10.5130/csr.v24i1.6318
- Umbrello, Steven, 2018. "Evolution Science and Ethics in the Third Millennium: Challenges and Choices for Humankind," World Futures, Published 04 October 2018. DOI: 10.1080/02604027.2018.1490113
- #Umbrello, Steven, 2018. "Designing in Ethics" Prometheus: Critical Studies in Innovation, Published 18 June 2018. DOI:10.1080/08109028.2018.1486470
- Umbrello, Steven, 2018. "Morality, Foresight, and Human Flourishing: An Introduction to Existential Risks."Futures, Vol. 98, 90-91. DOI: 10.1016/j.futures.2018.02.007
- #Umbrello, Steven, 2018. "Humankind: Solidarity with Nonhuman People,"Journal of Critical Realism, Vol. 17, No. 1, 84-86. DOI: 10.1080/14767430.2018.1437878
- Umbrello, Steven, 2017. "The Rise of Realism,"The International Journal of Actor-Network Theory and Technological Innovation, Vol. 9, No. 2, 63-66.
- Umbrello, Steven, 2018. "Being Ecological," Critical Horizons, under review
- Umbrello, Steven, 2018. "Fragile Umanità," Journal of Posthuman Studies, under review
- Umbrello, Steven, 2016. "Nootropics: The Current Trend of Personal Cognitive Enhancement" 2016 Workshop in Transhumanism. LUMEN Research Center in Social and Humanistic Sciences, Romania.
Conference Oral Presentations
- Umbrello, Steven, 2018. "Intuiting Safe Design: Strengthening Design-for-Values Frameworks" fPET2018 - Forum on Philosophy, Engineering and Technology. University of Maryland, USA.
- Umbrello, Steven, 2018. "Safe-by-Design: Principled Methods for Embedding Values in Transformative Technologies" Sixth Annual Conference on Governance of Emerging Technologies: Law, Policy, and Ethics. Arizona State University, USA.
- Umbrello, Steven, 2018. "Theological Determinism to Technological Determinism: The Secularization of Eschatological Narratives" NESTS - Northeast Science and Technology Studies Conference. Cornell University, USA.
- Umbrello, Steven, 2018. "The Future of Value Sensitive Design" Reformatting the World: An Interdisciplinary Conference on Technology and Humanities. York University, Canada.
- Umbrello, Steven, 2017. "Duoploding the Apocalypse: A Writing Instrument for Ecological Thought" Object Lessons | Technoscientific Cultures, 3rd Annual Conference. York University, Canada.
Awards and Honours
- Excellent Reviewing Award (8th worldwide) - Publons 2018 Peer Review Award - Sept 2018
- Outstanding Contribution in Reviewing - Futures (Elsevier) - Sept 2017
- Honours Distinction - University of Toronto - 2016
- Certificate of Appreciation from Accessibility Resources - University of Toronto - 2012 - 2014
- Ontario Scholar Award - Holy Cross Catholic Academy - 2011
- Certificate of Merit - Holy Cross Catholic Academy - 2011
- Honour Roll - Holy Cross Catholic Academy - 2010 - 2011